What is Laser Therapy?
It is a non-invasive light energy that creates bio-restorative effects on a cellular level to injured or irritated tissues in the body. It is a non ionizing energy and only effects areas of the body where cells are under stress (i.e. injured); it does not have any effect on normal healthy cells.
How long has laser therapy been around and how safe is it?
Since the inception of laser therapy in the 1960's there have been no reported side effects in any patients and there have been over 3000 research articles on the benefits of laser therapy. Laser Therapy is safe, noninvasive healing light energy.
What it High Power Laser Therapy (HPLT)
HPLT is a painless, safe, side effect free treatment for the relief of Neuro-musculoskeletal pain. There are many studies that show the effectiveness of laser therapy to promote rapid healing of a wound or injury. HPLT is a technological advancement to the older Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) or Cold Laser Therapy as it has the ability to deliver vastly larger amounts of healing light energy to much greater depths of penetration as well as being able to treat a vastly larger surface area than its predecessors.
Does Laser Therapy hurt?
No, in fact most patients will say that it feels good providing an instant soothing sensation and warmness during the treatment
What makes Avicennas High Power Laser Therapy the best laser on the market?
With 6-9 inches of penetration, 12 Watts of power, and a patented divergent treatment beam 1-3 inches in diameter, it is able to penetrate deeper with more power than any other FDA cleared Therapuetic Laser on the market thus yielding better and quicker outcomes.
Laser therapy is effective in restoring tissue to its normal state, i.e., it acts to reverse the pathology and thereby relieves symptoms. Initially there is a varying degree of pain relief due to the release of endorphins and cortisol produced by the body itself, but the more important effect is the cumulative factor, which is curative over the course of a series of treatments.
Medical outcomes result from the laser's ability to "bio-stimulate" tissue growth and repair. This results in accelerated wound healing, as well as a dramatic decrease in pain, inflammation, and scar tissue formation. Unlike all other treatment modalities, laser therapy actually "heals" tissue as well as providing a powerful non-addictive and side-effect free form of pain management. Avicenna’s High Power Laser Therapy (HPLT) gets superior results due to the ability to deliver healing laser energy to the target tissues at any depth and over large surface areas.
Biological Effects of Laser Therapy
1. Accelerated Tissue Repair And Cell Growth - accelerate cellular reproduction and growth. No other physical therapy modality can penetrate the bony patella and deliver healing energy to the articular surface between the underside of the patella and the femur. Cells of cartilage, bone, tendons, ligaments and muscles are repaired faster as a result of exposure to laser light.
2. Reduced Fibrous Tissue Formation - Laser therapy reduces the formation of scar tissue following tissue damage and acute and chronic inflammatory processes. This point is paramount because fibrous (scar) tissue is less elastic, has poorer circulation, is more pain sensitive, weaker, and much more prone to re-injury and frequent exacerbation.
3. Anti-Inflammation - Laser light therapy has an anti-inflammatory effect, as it causes vasodilation and activation of the lymphatic drainage system. As a result, there is a reduction in swelling caused by biomechanical stress, trauma, overuse, or systemic conditions.
4. Analgesia - Laser therapy has a beneficial effect on pain through the suppression of nerve signal transmission over unmyelinated c-fibers that transmit pain to the brain. This means that a greater amount of stimuli is required to create an action potential within the nerve to signal pain. Another pain blocking mechanism involves the production of high levels of pain killing chemicals such as endorphins and enkephalins from the brain and adrenal gland.
5. Improved Vascular Activity - Laser light will significantly increase the formation of new capillaries (angiogenesis) in damaged tissue that will speed up the healing process. Additionally, it has been noted in the literature that microcirculation increases secondary to vasodilation during laser treatment.
6. Increased Metabolic Activity - Laser therapy creates higher outputs of specific enzymes
7. Improved Nerve Function - accelerates the process of nerve cell regeneration and increases the amplitude of action potentials